Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Wonderful World of Disney


Disney World went far above and beyond my expectations. I figured it would just be Disneyland on steriods. And it is a little bit. But it is so much more.

The attention to detail in their rides, shows, and general decor is impressive and artistic. Detail that most people probably gloss over and ignore, but the effort is there nonetheless. The features of the park are innovative as is the use of technology throughout. I was blown away.

The philosophy of the corporation itself is admirable. Did you know that it is someone's job to sift through all the garbage created at the park. That is how committed they are to recycling. I hear that Disney World will run green within about 3 years. Which means that they are exploring new technology and ways to implement that technology to energize a land mass nearly the size the San Francisco. (Yup. That's how big their property is. Half the size of Manhattan). Preservation is an idea discussed and encouraged throughout. In fact, a large chunk of that land is a wildlife preserve that the public never sees. All good things.

What moved me most was Disney's expression of patriotism. The whole park was like a love letter to America. And not like the empty act of throwing a Support the Troops magnet on your car and following it with no action. Disney offers amazing exhibits, rides, and shows that made me appreciate this country in a different way than I had before. It attempts to educate and inspire and, for me, succeeded in both. Its not perfect, of course. But really wonderful. I got misty like 6 or 7 times. And I felt the reverence for America was put in a global context as well.

Additionally, it may be the most diverse place I visit this summer. People from all over this country and all over the world were there together. There is an obvious socio-economic boundary of course. For everyone but me that place is damn expensive (thanks Scottychop. more on that later.)

Though Walt's initial vision was not realized literally when Disney World was created, you can see his spirit throughout. He was a man who loved and explored innovation and technology. He appreciated the earth and wilderness and saw great value in them both. He is a man who loved his country. He also knew the value of silliness and fun. Yes, we could debate his greatness, and yes there was a seedy side to this story, but I prefer to put on my rose-colored glasses and adore the man for what he accomplished and the manner in which he legacy lives on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Twice the size of Manhattan; that's four times bigger than half the size of Manhattan! I'm so glad you came, had a wonderful time. You're my favorite kind of guest.

benkyler said...

That's a mighty fine story you tell there Amy! Seriously, well said. Keep exploring and safe travels out there.