Friday, July 18, 2008

The Nutmeg State

New Year's Resolution: Keep up on this damn blog. After my last post I felt like I had given birth to an island. NYC was fantastically amazing and totally exhausting. I don't think I could live there. I don't have the energy.

The perfect cure was to head out to the suburbs. This is what I look like in Bristol, CT. Bonfire was just what the doctor ordered.

I had the good fortune to tour the CBS Radio studios here. I have for a long time been interested in the radio industry, so the opportunity for a tour was really exciting. I got to sit in on a live broadcast of WTIC AM 1080. I also got to chat with the onair talent, Jim Vicevich, after his show ended. He is known locally as Connecticut's Rush Limbaugh. I have no idea why. He is a libertarian, vegan, bluegrass lover... Good guy. Hopefully I can see him again before I leave.

That night we went out. Got some great shots:



This is my host:He may look familiar to some. Looks exactly the same, yes? We haven't seen each other since high school. Such a good host. I have added two days to my Hartford stop because he has planned out so much for us to do.

I had to stretch my nerd muscle, so I headed down to the Connecticut State Capitol. So beautiful. Look:
From what I was told, its the only Gothic style State capitol.

Went to a graveyard. Apparently one of the convicted "witches" was buried her. We didn't find her, but I did see:

This is also a dead guy here who was born prior to 1492! We didn't see him either, but that is pretty amazing.

Culturally it is very different out here. There is a lot of old money. There seems to be a lot of value placed on status and designer possessions. At least in the circles I am running around in. I was told I have a California accent?! It seems that there are a lot of really rich people and a lot of really poor people and not a whole lot in-between. And talk about institutionalized racism... Its built into the bureaucracy and city planning.

I think I am fortunate, however, in that my exposure to the culture here is through the lens of Hartford's gay community. Everyone I've met is so cool and sweet and welcoming. I will admit that I am struggling to keep up with the party scene. I haven't partied like this since New Orleans! Weird yes? I thought so too. However I did last longer than this guy last night: For all I know that guy is still passed out in that chair.

Some interesting facts I have learned:

People of note born here in Connecticut: Stalker George and Ralph Nader (the man, not the euphemism).
State Hero:
Hartford's claim to fame: The insurance capitol of the world
Hartford is also the setting for one of my favorite TV shows and one of my favorite movies; Judging Amy and Far From Heaven. In fact the beautiful Amy Brenneman of Judging Amy grew up here in Glastonbury where I am staying.

More Connecticut adventures to come. Its beer-thirty here so....

1 comment:

benkyler said...

That's all rad!..and PAUL!! Tell homeboy what up for me. Keep on keepin on, lady. Have a fine weekend, I'm off for a wedding in So. Cal. Hopefully I won't have to drive TOO much in that hell hole. Peace in the Middle East, and Back East as well. BK