Monday, July 7, 2008

Adventures in Wallyworld

Many have asked what motivated me to embark on such a journey. And many of you know the initial answer. Which turned into "Maybe I will take Coodence up on her offer to go to visit her NYC." As the travel bug started to infect my brain, I knew D.C. would have to be included on the itinerary. I was here the summer after 8th grade, but I encountered my first taste of puppy love on that trip, and was so consumed with landing my first kiss that I didn't appreciate what this city had to offer. The one singular attraction that drew me here was the National Museum of American History. If you followed the link you will see that it is CLOSED. I drive 4400 miles to see Carrie's laptop and Fonzie's leather jacket and it is CLOSED.

So I decide to go here:


Arrgh. This also happened:

The WWII Memorial. Which did not exist in 1992. Another must see on my list. Fenced off for 7/4 celebrations. I mean, I guess I saw it, technically....

On a lighter note, this is a wonderful city to travel to alone. There is so much to see, and obviously so much than can go awry, it was exceptionally easy to and find new adventures. I saw many groups that were debating activities or lost or frustrated. I appreciated not having to compromise my direction or appease anyone else's desires. Especially right after the fireworks as I headed back to the METRO. I could weave my way through the crowd without having to keep track of anyone else. Got home in record time.

2 comments:

Heather & Jacob said...

Aw honey! I should have told you that museum was closed (it was closed when Jacob and I were in D.C. and will be closed for a long while yet). Glad you got to see fireworks there too - I saw them in D.C. a long long time ago, and no other fireworks have ever stood up to them. Glad you're having fun!!
Heather

unknown legend said...

you know, I think you did, I just wasn't hearing it. Bleh.