Sunday, July 13, 2008

brotherly love

I had a great time nerding it up in Philly. Came into town on July 8. My wonderful cool hosts were still at work, so I just started roaming. Happened upon the Old Swedes' Church, the oldest church in Pennsylvania. It was closed, but there was a neat old cemetery that I enjoyed for a while.
The guy who claims to be the first president of the United States is buried there:
I guess there is some controversy about it. I am not going to comment on such a sensitive political issue as the Articles of Confederation. I wouldn't want to offend.

Leaving there I went in search of a hair salon to clean up the do. They couldn't take me right away, so I wandered into:

If I called you from Philly, this is where I was. Cool place. Nice people. My wonderful hosts met me here and then took me to a hockey game. Almost seduced a hapless young man for a ride on his Zamboni. "Almost" being the most important word in that sentence. Mom, you will be happy to know I am still a Zamboni virgin.

Day 2 was touristy nerd day. First stop was a cheesesteak for breakfast. I don't know what they are serving in California, but it ain't no cheesesteak. So good.

Then on to the National Constitution Center. Essentially all of 8th grade history learned in 2 hours. Fantastic. When you go, make this your first stop. Gives one a historical base for everything else. No cameras allowed so you'll just have go and see it for yourself. Though was able to meet these guys:
In conversation I found out they chose not to sign The Constitution. I thought that was kind of lame so I met up with this guy:
We hung the rest of the week. Cool cat. Really smart. So cool, in fact, that I went on to a walking tour of his life led by a park ranger. Can I just take a moment to say how much I appreciate the National Park Service, especially in this town. Wonderful, sweet, helpful people. Amazing exhibits. Saw where Benny's house was, a print shop, artifacts, and the post office he started. If you got a post card it was mailed from here. There is supposed to be some kind of special post-mark. You tell me.

On to Independence Hall. This is where it all started people. Please take a moment to appreciate.


In this room the Declaration of Independence was developed, debated, and signed, as was the Constitution. Every freedom you enjoy was started in this room. George Washington presided and that chair is the one original piece of furniture.
Heavy.

Speaking of heavy, on to the Liberty Bell. Kudos again to the National Park Service. The exhibits leading up to the bell were really cool and informative. I knew nothing about the significance of the bell, specifically as a symbol of the oppressed. The bell itself was what it was. Bell. Big crack. Smaller than I thought it would be. This here is the best part. The reason it became a symbol of freedom for those that were not free:


Late in the day at this point, so on to City Tavern where the founders would go kick it after a long, hard day of birthing a nation. In the guide books it seemed to be advertised as authentic. I was stoked to drink a beer where John Adams may have gotten shit-faced himself. It is sadly a reproduction built by the wonderful National Park Service in 1979, so it was still great. Had a few ales made from original recipes of Thomas Jefferson and Martha Washington. So they say. Delicious either way. Met my new boyfriend:
He's a patriot with a strong dislike for the loyalists, of course, so politically we are in sync. He's also a merchant and y'all know I love a man with a J-O-B! He is not thrilled with the fact that I was a woman in a tavern, or that I read. He'll get over it though. They always do.

Went home and enjoyed a home-cooked meal, the first since South Carolina. We talked and laughed and enjoyed this:


Day 3 was more nerdiness. This was the best part. I am not going to tell you where it is, because I had to seek it out myself (thank you National Park Service. Again.) But it is stunning. Looks like a painting right? It is all Tiffany Glass. 15 by 49 foot mosaic.



Then ran into my stalker:
Thinking about getting a restraining order. He is so smarmy.

So I went to go hide in the National Liberty Museum. Celebrates great Americans, so I figured stalker wouldn't be there. My favorite parts were the extensive 9/11 tribute and the wall that celebrates great Americans with disabilities. Worth the admission price, especially if you are visiting with kids.

Last stop:


They don't allow cameras. At all. I had to stop off at my car before going. Understandable though. I loved it. You maybe not so much if you are not as nerdy as me. Learned I am a numismatist. Don't worry. Its not contagious.

And then on to NYC baby!!! One last note:
What did you do today? Besides read my blog. Get off your ass and go change the world people! Sheesh.

Thank you so much to my hosts. Thank you for bus tokens and good food and wine. Thank you for the best futon ever. I didn't get a picture of them, so y'all will just have to imagine there awesomeness.

2 comments:

benkyler said...

So, thanks to Google, I solved the little riddle of your mystery place/mosaic thingy. It's "Dream Garden", located at the Curtis Center lobby, 601-45 Walnut Street (Independence Square, Curtis Center lobby). Did you know that that crazy Vegas mogul, Steve Wynn, bought and tried tried to move it to Vegas in 1998! Thanks to the good people at the Pew Charitable Trusts (the folk at NPR mention them a lot), and a crapload of protesting by regular people, the Pew bought it back and kept it in Phili. A little history to go with your own history. Right back at ya my darlin'. Enjoy your trip Amy and keep us posted. Thanks! BK
PS...this All Star game is freakin' LOCO!!

unknown legend said...

well look at mr. smarty pants. Yeah I knew about the Steve Wynn thing. I was looking for an actual garden. In my mind it was... horizontal. And outside. The Curtis Center is where the Saturday Evening Post and Ladies Home Journal was started I believe. And still housed there... Not sure.

BTW I didn't go to the All-Star game, but I did go to the parade. Pictures to follow. But not of Jeter, cause that is when my camera died. Derek Jeter broke my camera.