Friday, June 20, 2008

Road Weary

So I drove nearly 800 miles yesterday. Tucson to Del Rio, TX. Crossed 3 states. 2 time zones. 1 border patrol. Total travel time was about 14 hours. 16 if you include the time change. I anticipate yesterday to be my most brutal travel day of the adventure. I hope. My pictures aren't loading, which is fine because Texas looks the same. For like 8 hours. I tried to plan out some roadside diversions using my trusty guidebooks. Both Las Cruces and El Paso were described as "surprisingly unremarkable" and those guidebook authors seem to know what they are talking about. I looked in Roadside America for a possible stop, and the only place mentioned on my route was the Gadsden Purchase Plaza in Mesilla, NM. Listed as day 7 of R.A.'s "Boring Tour."

My roadside attractions included a museum of Archaeology and the Border Patrol Museum, both in El Paso. Both worth seeing if you are passing through. And an uncharacteristically pretty drive to get there.

Special thanks go out to Girlfriend, Nancy in Tucson, Mommy, the employees at the visitor centers in Lordsburg, NM and El Paso, Jeff Foxworthy, and the Meat Curtain.

Hopefully blogger will stop being such a bee-yotch and I can load some pictures tonight.

No comments: