Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Official Start of my Adventure



Technically my adventure starts when work ends and I set off sans the comfort of my apartment and my kitty cat. However I realized that truly it started last weekend at Lime Kiln State Park, south of Big Sur. Best camping trip ever. And snuggles up with my adventure philosophy of seeing new things. You may be surprised, but I've never been to Big Sur

The trip officially started when Revolution called and said, "I hope you aren't bringing too much stuff." He and his little lady, the chef, show up in a too tiny rental car with uh-oh expressions on their faces. It was all good though. My beater Camry (who I have just now decided to name Jolene in reverence of the great Dolly Parton) was tuned up and ready to go. And just newly installed with a Sirius!

Drama regarding a third vehicle and a strict ranger was quickly soothed by PBR and his good friend Jack Daniels. I came in last place in the pitching tent competition. So sad. I knew the weekend would be fantastic when Rev and the chef walked up to the highway at the exact moment that Fryan and J pulled in. Kismet and such.

Awoke to The Chef cooking the BEST pancakes I've ever. A little Irish coffee, a few camp chores. Then on to hiking. My favorite part. It was so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend it.

The hike was separated into three branches. Branch, the first, ended in a redwood grove (the Ca coast kind, not the giant sequoias. Which you should also see if you have the chance.) Along the way were big fat clover and a happy little river. Uncle B. found me the ultimate hiking stick made of redwood, here forth known as Stick. I've got to give UB credit. Stick is the perfect length and strength for good hiking. And poking. Thanks UB.

Branch, the second, was the waterfall. I can't even describe its beauty. Even the pictures below do it no justice. And the most fun branch of the hike. Many nooks to explore and trees to climb. Rev was way into his geology. And he tried as hard as he could to school us on his knowledge. I climbed a tree I almost couldn't get out of. As did Fryan. Stick helped me jump around the waterfall and be the little monkey I so want to be.

Branch, the third, was the Lime Kilns. Actual kilns. Like the stove kind. They were used in the 1800's as a way to process the lime taken from the land to be used in building buildings in such places as Monterey and San Francisco. We had story time by the Kilns and then headed back to camp.

We then went down to the beach and explored. The rock sand was warm and comforting. The sound of the ocean was soothing and familiar. We held our first ever book club right there on the beach and agreed that we didn't like the book. The comfort of the beachside sun made all campers so relaxed that it was nap time. Rev and I played dominoes for the first time in months. I lost. So sad.

Then dinner. I wouldn't mention it, except it was seriously the best hot dog I ever had. And corn I ever had. And baked beans I ever had. Thanks campers!

Then the debut of Rev and my band ;

; now has fans. See our YouTube. We rock. Campfire karakoke is my new favorite thing. And ; didn't sound half bad if I do say so.

Recipe:
- place one marshmallow on Stick.
- place one cherry on Stick above said marshmallow
- roast to perfection
- pull marshmallow off Stick so that cherry enters the center of marshmallow
- be stunned by deliciousness

Then more camping and more camping and more camping. I enjoyed the tear down as much as the rest.

I'm not kidding. Best camping trip ever.

Miles traveled: 417
States visited: 1

1 comment:

Heather & Jacob said...

The Proof is in the pudding: Here's the Video of ;'s debut perf:
http://www.youtube.com/user/atomicpicnic