Thursday, July 2, 2009

We have arrived!

So we have officially arrived!!! After months of planning and anticipation, after 22 hours of travel from home to hotel, we made it to London safe. I guess I should introduce "we" first. You know me.... occupation: part-time adventurer. My other traveling companions will hereto be known as Ms. Doctor Scientist and Triangle Man. We have just embarked on a 7 week whirlwind tour of Western Europe for our summer holiday.

We were fortunate to get a straight flight from San Francisco to Heathrow. Our first order of business was to figure out the London Underground in order to get to our hotel, which was about the last thing we were in the mood for after 10 hours of travel. But we did it!!! Well... actually they did it. I followed blindly in a travel induced stupor. I'm already feeling the advantages of having traveling companions. My stubborn independence may be slowly melting away. We finally ended up here:

After a brief nap we headed into the city and ate at... wait for it.... TGI Fridays! I know I know. Super weak. But super good. We then walked around seeing London at night. Very beautiful. See:

Today was our first full day in Europe. We are easing into our new rolls as travelers. Did the London Eye, the National Gallery, and OF COURSE had a couple pints of Guinness at a pub. Yum. Shared a huge pile of fish and chips. Had a strawberry ale that reminded me of Abita Strawberry Lager in New Orleans. Luckily our hotel is right next to this great, cheap Turkish diner. So we are well fed and ready to explore tomorrow! Here are some pretty pictures from today:




Look Kids: Big Ben. Parliament.

No comments: