Friday, July 24, 2009

Sierra de Guadarrama

Will I ever catch up? I don't know. Internet is spotty at best. Blog says I'm in Spain, Facebook says I'm in France. Neither are true at this point. But I'm going to try.

One of our favorite adventures thus far was visiting Valle de los Caidos, just outside of Madrid. A controversial visit according to the locals. If you know your Spanish History, which I did not, Franco is not the most popular guy 'round these parts, what with all the anti-nationalism and authoritarian dictatorship and all.

Well, he built this creepy "cathedral" but it's really more of a crypt. Instead of the cathedral stretching towards the heavens, like most we have seen, it is buried in the side of a mountain. The cross you see below is all that is visible, and it is visible for miles. They wouldn't let us take pictures inside, but it was ominous. And over the top. Very cold. Very clean. Like Cameron Fry's house. Being that we like things that are creepy and weird, it was a favorite. If you get the chance, you must go.



No comments: